Robin Hood the movie

Moderator: the_power

Re: Robin Hood the movie

Postby sabrewolfe on Mon May 17, 2010 11:30 am

Went to it on Saturday night, the beach scene was definately more like a WW2 film but in general it was an alright film.
I think they definately set themselves up to do a sequel if they want too.

All in all it was a fairly interesting take on the legend. Even if Robin did have a Irish accent (no mater what Russel Crowe says). Also nice to see a Robin Hood film where they dont use archery shots that a cruise missle would have difficulty achieving.

Worth a watch just dont take it that seriously.
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Postby Declan Kenny on Mon May 17, 2010 11:41 am

His accent certainly wandered around a lot. Hollywood stars seem to have a stock mediaeval European accent which is hard to place and never existed. In an attempt to be as neutral as possible they end up sounding like nothing. As always Cate Blanchett picked a dialect and nailed it. Pity Crowe couldn't do the same. (Perhaps he tried saying 'aye up, down int' pit wi' pit pony' and it was f**kin' horrible!) Mind you, I also wondered at the logic of the accents of the Hobbits in Lord of the Rings: Merry and Pippin were practically neighbours in Hobbiton, and one had a Scottish accent (Glaswegian Billy Boyd) whereas Dominic Monaghan went for the more West Country drawl we were expecting. Assuming most of us had read the book, it sounded like an odd decision.

Jaysus, I really need to get back to work...
Declan Kenny

Postby bannerman on Mon May 17, 2010 11:34 pm

Feck the sherriff No one will top Rickmans portrayal of DEV (even if Neil Jordan's script was just a tad biased!)
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby Swifty on Tue May 18, 2010 12:10 am

bannerman wrote:Feck the sherriff No one will top Rickmans portrayal of DEV (even if Neil Jordan's script was just a tad biased!)

Rickman's interpretation was good alright but I would give the top prize to Nickolas Grace from HTV's 80's series 'Robin Of Sherwood' - such fantasticly ruthless machiavellian cynicism offset with Grace's penchant for unashamed campness coupled with Richard Carpenter's biting dialogue e.g. '...never assume anything Gisburne except an occasional air of intelligence...' Pure entertainment!
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby bannerman on Tue May 18, 2010 1:08 am

All sing "Robiiinnn - De Hooded Mann (Doo Dum) Robin, Robiiinnn - De Hooded Mann (Doo Dum) ..."

Czech out the purple sky in the music video - (Prince Purple rain?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb5v5vtPlx4
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby thepremier on Sun May 30, 2010 8:33 pm

bannerman wrote:Feck the sherriff No one will top Rickmans portrayal of DEV (even if Neil Jordan's script was just a tad biased!)

I don't know, I think Rickman's Sherrif and his Dev had a lot in common - both were over-the-top and hammy. I think only the Sherrif was intentionally so. :)

Robin of Sherwood (the ITV series of the 1980s) was a great portrayal, and many of its characterisations were replicated by Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, especially the addition of an Arab member of the band and the angry Will Scarlet. The Kevin Costner version had Maid Marian as a bit of a cipher, while Robin of Sherwood's Marian was tough and skilled. The Clannad theme was the epitome of 80s mysticism. I loved it.
thepremier
Active Newbie
Full Name: niig

Previous

Return to General Chat