Gaelic Medieval Helm

Merchants can advertise here, private individuals are welcome to hawk their wares. Seek advice on new investments!

Moderator: the_power

Gaelic Medieval Helm

Postby consmiles on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:52 pm

gmh1.jpg
gmh1.jpg (17.58 KiB) Viewed 2067 times

A Gaelic Medieval Helm
Inspired by the only Gaelic Helmet in the National Museum to the best of my knowledge. Made with leather and steel - this helm attempts to present a lightweight functional helmet for the Gaelic persona. Using 3mm vege tanned leather treated with Cuir Buile and Soda the outer layer is dried slowly over a wood and turf fire giving it a hard outer shell. The shell is a single piece of 3mm leather. The steel banding is 3mm x 13mm mild steel. The rivets are cold forged steel and the thonging is 2mm vege tan leather.

gmh2.jpg
gmh2.jpg (16.27 KiB) Viewed 2067 times

The top joint of the steel banding is cold riveted making the shape secure. The buckle is a GDFB standard type with a strap keep added to tidy the loose end away. All sewing is with waxed linen thread.

gmh3.jpg
gmh3.jpg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 2067 times

Leather was plentiful in Ireland in medieval times whereas steel was not a natural resource so I'm suggesting that composite helmets were made. I'd suggest that black dye was made from either crottle and iron water (as declared in the Museum of Country Living) or oak gall with carbon soot and iron water - remember how plentiful oak was.... The yellow gold edging on the museum example is brass but on my version is it acrylic paint.
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie
Full Name: Con

Re: My Gaelic Medieval Helm

Postby consmiles on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 pm

I teach leather craft - and I also wear my creations so I've inserted a one piece soft 2mm vege tanned leather spider into my Gaelic Medieval Helm. The spider has a 3mm head band inside it as a spacer to allow air to flow over the head - the outer shell also has holes (for the thonging) allowing the wearer to to keep a cool head... This spider has top of the head adjustment and back of the head adjustment so the helm is secured snugly to my head and does not flop around or cause discomfort in any way. The third adjustment is under the chin. each side of the chin strap has a Y shape so the ear is inside the Y shape - this also gives a more secure fitting. There is also a hole near each ear to facilitate hearing commands or the last dying agonizing pitiful begging of the nearly dead enemy...

gmh4.jpg
gmh4.jpg (19.31 KiB) Viewed 2055 times

The back of the helm shows the thonging over the steel banding - this protects the neck. The shape of the hardened leather is also shown more clearly in this image. While wearing and training in this helm I am comfortable and the sides and rear do not connect with my shoulders or back, my vision is only very slightly reduced and my breathing is not restricted at all. This helmet was made to measure to suit my head - no jokes here please...

gmh5.jpg
gmh5.jpg (12.94 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
Regards
Con
consmiles
Active Newbie
Full Name: Con

Re: Gaelic Medieval Helm

Postby johnwik on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:23 am

I saw first time medieval helmet in leather case. looking nice..
johnwik
Full Name: John Wik

Re: Gaelic Medieval Helm

Postby manfredsorg on Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Great work!
Can you tell me where I can find more on the original helmet?
Especially where it has been found and to which century it is dated.
Thanks, Manfred
Gillean mac Cormaic / Manfred Sorg - Scottish living history around 1200 in Germany - schottenhof.de
manfredsorg
Full Name: Manfred Sorg

Return to Buy and Sell