Springhill 2009

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Re: Springhill 2009

Postby jonnyb-2 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:29 am

Hey Panzermeyer...

Thanks for your reply, I will take note of the Book you mentioned, I am piled down with Books at the minute! :(

I maby got the wrong impression by your post, due to this your first statement to me...

PanzerMeyer wrote:and they are perfect for reenacting , but of course you need a vehicle to mount them in .

I was simply stressing in my first post that using Post-War hardware in our group is frowned upon as it would only infringe what we are trying to do, which is to Accurately portray 7te Kompanie II Batl LSSAH.

For instance the MG42 lafayette we use, we waited for a long time until something right came up, rather than going and getting a modern Bundesheer one which can be got anywhere online for a fraction of the price.
Not to say it is a bad peice of hardware but it would look "out of date" in a Picture.

Here is a Picture of us using the MG42 Lafayette...

Regards

Jonny
jonnyb-2
Full Name: Jonny

Postby PanzerMeyer on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:52 am

Yes jonnyb-2 , you did get the wrong impression from my post but not to worry . I am sure you strive to accurately portray the 7th Kompanie as we all do but original equipment and uniforms are very expensive today and not all can afford to pay the high prices .
I also have two original Lafayettes , one for the MG34 & the other for the MG42 . Just a small point on the way you have mounted your MG42 on your Lafayette , if you get a original MG42 gunners handbook you will see that it was standard order to leave the butt on the MG42 when mounted in the Lafayette , hope this is of help.
PanzerMeyer
Active Newbie
Full Name: Justin Horgan

Postby jonnyb-2 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:17 am

Thanks for your comments, but as many pictures prove it was not always the case.
But yes I am fully aware that it was more common to have it still attached!

But can I ask what the Zeltbann is about on BGS MG teams Lafayette? I have never seen that before was it to capture the spent shells?

Kindest Regards

Jonny
jonnyb-2

Postby PanzerMeyer on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:27 am

If you read my post correctly , I stated that "it was standard order to leave the butt on " , I did not say this order was always followed .
As for the Zeltbann , well I guess it was to cover the fact that the armourer who came over from England for the Springhill event did not have a original mount for the MG42 we hired out for the weekend . This mount was for the MG3 , so our guys did the correct thing and camoflaged it for , now I hope that answers your questions ???
When you have been reenacting for over 22 years like me then you will pick up these little tips along the way . :)
PanzerMeyer
Active Newbie

Postby jonnyb-2 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Double Post Read below.
Last edited by jonnyb-2 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnyb-2

Postby jonnyb-2 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:19 pm

Very good! Mr Oxdale didnt have Mounts for rent as far as I know, because we had to bring ours up to test fire it with the MGs!!
Plus Yes It was a post war mount made to look like a War Time one, :roll: it was silly looking, no ifs nor buts any experienced WW2 reenactor would have noticed and had a giggle.
Since you have so much original Kit then did it not cross your mind to bring it?
But if memory serves me right you were not even at Springhill!!!

Justin Its now two forums that BGS are trying to outwit us by leading certain members into arguements I wont go down that road again.

Kindest Regards

Jonny
jonnyb-2

Postby PanzerMeyer on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:41 pm

Why you are correct I was not at the Springhill show and if I had been there so would my MG34 & MG42 mounts .
The MG mount provided by John Oxdale was not modified to look like a original one as you claim it is still in Bundeswehr specs.
As for trying to outwit you this would not be very hard but I would not waste my time , I would much prefer to stick to the facts on the forums and post on these .
We are all big boys here , sos lets keep to the facts , then nobody will get confused , it is that simple.
PanzerMeyer
Active Newbie

Postby jonnyb-2 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:55 pm

We will leave it on that note... ;)

Regards

Jonny
jonnyb-2

Postby PanzerMeyer on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:07 pm