Pupils think Auschwitz is a beer

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Re: Pupils think Auschwitz is a beer

Postby Irish-American on Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:25 pm

Yes, seeing and touching history makes you remember it. Its when you reizle people in history are just peole it becomes interesting. I mean that's why we're all here right? :|
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Postby bethc on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:56 pm

I can't comment on what's taught here in Ireland, But I trained as a teacher and taught back in England before moving over here.

Just to put things into context, I am qualified over there to teach both History and Religious Education, which is not like it is over here, but is to give kids a greater understanding of all faiths etc.

While I was training we had to do work on the holocaust, and were visited by an expert and provided with all sorts of information. The idea being that we would be equipped to teach the subject effecively in schools.

The holocaust is covered by the curriculum for older kids doing history as an exam subject in the UK. Some schools also arrange visits to sites. My daughter went to France and Belgium to visit the war graves and so on in her final year at school.

Personally I believe that history should be taught in a way that brings it to life for students, but that can only be done if schools have an imaginative teacher and a school that backs the idea. I think that if a child has good experiences they will remember better, and go on to discover more for themselves if the interest is caught.

Also, and I may be wrong here, it seems that educational visits in schools here are more about small sessions run by one or two people and are paid for. Back in the UK, I can remember our whole group membership turning up at a school and effectively taking it over for the day. The only payment we would get woul;d be lunch provided for us all. That would be the norm. We would have a timetable of things arranged for the day and would make it as 'hands on' as possible for the kids.

Rant over!
bethc
Full Name: Beth Croshaw

Postby Irish-American on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:39 pm

That's generally (the lunch thing) is how its done in the States. As for experts they do indeed change the picture for the better. When I was was in 8th grade we had a holocaust survivor speak to our class. It changed me as person and I only wished she lived a tad longer to speak to more classes. To see the fear, truth. and what surprised me most, lack of hate for the Germans was truly powerful.
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby tommyargue on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:34 am

Bethc said
"Also, and I may be wrong here, it seems that educational visits in schools here are more about small sessions run by one or two people and are paid for. Back in the UK, I can remember our whole group membership turning up at a school and effectively taking it over for the day. The only payment we would get woul;d be lunch provided for us all. That would be the norm. We would have a timetable of things arranged for the day and would make it as 'hands on' as possible for the kids."

Thats very noble gesture and I was in favour of doing that myself but the thing here seems to be that people have a tendency to equate cost with value. If it cost them nothing then it's worth nothing and they treat it accordingly. It's happened to me time and time again when people at gigs ask me for a loan of something and then give it back to me in bits or don't give it back at all, they just come along and tell me "I left your thingamajig over there for you"
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby bethc on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:44 pm

tommyargue wrote:Bethc said
"Also, and I may be wrong here, it seems that educational visits in schools here are more about small sessions run by one or two people and are paid for. Back in the UK, I can remember our whole group membership turning up at a school and effectively taking it over for the day. The only payment we would get woul;d be lunch provided for us all. That would be the norm. We would have a timetable of things arranged for the day and would make it as 'hands on' as possible for the kids."

Thats very noble gesture and I was in favour of doing that myself but the thing here seems to be that people have a tendency to equate cost with value. If it cost them nothing then it's worth nothing and they treat it accordingly. It's happened to me time and time again when people at gigs ask me for a loan of something and then give it back to me in bits or don't give it back at all, they just come along and tell me "I left your thingamajig over there for you"

.... Personally I have trouble getting my head round the attitudes towards some things that some people have, which can be so blinkered, and the total disrespect that others have as well. I think itg all comes back to the 'whats in it for me?' syndrome.

I did freebies for schools for years and would continue to do so if I though it would be of benefit. Thats my opinion, both as a re-enactor and a teacher, albeit an ex one!
bethc

Postby tommyargue on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:12 pm

I completely agree with you on this Beth. I have offered to do talks and displays in the schools in my area free of charge, but no one wanted it. I am no longer in a postion to do that, teachers don't work for free and neither does anyone else. I don't see why I shouldn't make a living from doing what I love to do, effectively what your saying is if I spend my day in a dump that I hate with people I can't stand I deserve to be paid but because this is my hobby I shouldn't charge for doing the teachers job.
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby bethc on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:10 pm

Such a shame that we live in a world that equates quality with cost. :( .
bethc

Postby Irish-American on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:29 pm

Betic:
I'm glad you see the value of good teachers and that you seem to be one. :) There is nothing that can kill history like a BAD teacher. The opening lines of my teacher's lecture Jouir year were, "World War II was a fighting type situation and again there was fighting." I was like :lol: As a side note: I'm going dfor my undergrad work in History Education in a few short monthes. I'm very nerous I shall turn into another teacher as him. Any advice? I have the passion to bring home points and can explain well and all my friends say I'll do well in a college professorship and I even believe it (That's my ultermite goal btw) but still have that fear of well..sucking.
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Previous

Return to 20th Century