Irish Citizen Army Uniforms and Equipment 1916

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Re: Irish Citizen Army Uniforms and Equipment 1916

Postby danielsamson on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:57 pm

I'm on the case of the Wicklow man as we speak !

Interestingly, the reason I remember the book so well was that I was using it for reference when researching the battle of Ashbourne a number of years ago ( in my opinion a very underrated and glossed over event). In fact a man I know, a number of years ago, acting on information from the last surviving participant of the battle, "Stash" Farrell, dredged a pond for 3 days to find two handguns that were disposed of when the word came from Dublin to lay down arms and return home. They are still in great condition hanging above a range in a farmhouse in North Dublin.
danielsamson
Full Name: Paddy Looney

Postby the_power on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Aye, I've seen the revolvers, they are an amazing piece of history. The wonderful thing is, that the woman who knew where they had been hidden could still remember huge amounts of detail about the event, despite being only 15 at the time (and probably over ninety when describing where the guns were!).

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby euryalus on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:25 pm

According to Anne Marreco, in her book The Rebel Countess (1967), Countess Markievicz thought that the suggested brassards would indentify the wearers as belligerents under International law, and thereby give them a degree of legal protection if captured. The same argument would have applied in relation to the wearing of full uniforms, though Captain White was more concerned with instilling a sense of pride and esprit de corps.
euryalus
Full Name: Stanley C.Jenkins

Postby thepremier on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:25 pm

I don't know if anyone saw the Vincent Browne show last night on TV3, which is being guest hosted for a few days by Kevin Myers. During a discussion about Arnott's he said that, on the eve of the 1916 Rising, the Irish Citizen Army got a supply of boy scout uniforms, Myers's implication being that that's what the ICA wore during the Rising. From reading this topic I get the impression that the boy scout unit of the ICA may have used elements of the boy scout uniform (shirts, for example). Would this be correct?

danielsamson wrote:Interestingly, the reason I remember the book so well was that I was using it for reference when researching the battle of Ashbourne a number of years ago ( in my opinion a very underrated and glossed over event). In fact a man I know, a number of years ago, acting on information from the last surviving participant of the battle, "Stash" Farrell, dredged a pond for 3 days to find two handguns that were disposed of when the word came from Dublin to lay down arms and return home. They are still in great condition hanging above a range in a farmhouse in North Dublin.

That's fascinating! I have a secret hope of finding my grandfather's buried revolver one day.
thepremier
Active Newbie
Full Name: niig

Postby Saoirse22 on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:27 pm

I have heard conflicting reports that the ICA either recieved only 1871s or may have recieved those mixed with some 71/84s (an almost identical rifle in appearance save the magazine cap protrusion). Does anybody know if it was specifically only 1871s they would have carried? either weapon would have been obsolete enough by the time for the Germans to sent either during the Howth gunrunning or during smaller deliveries. Essentially most accounts i've read mention simply obsolete German rifles, and for the most part I cannot see the nosecaps of rifles in photographs clearly so I have always wondered about this aspect of the ICA.

Thanks.
Saoirse22
Full Name: John Shook

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:15 pm

Saoirse22 wrote:I have heard conflicting reports that the ICA either recieved only 1871s or may have recieved those mixed with some 71/84s (an almost identical rifle in appearance save the magazine cap protrusion). Does anybody know if it was specifically only 1871s they would have carried? either weapon would have been obsolete enough by the time for the Germans to sent either during the Howth gunrunning or during smaller deliveries. Essentially most accounts i've read mention simply obsolete German rifles, and for the most part I cannot see the nosecaps of rifles in photographs clearly so I have always wondered about this aspect of the ICA.

Thanks.

1871's are better known as howth guns lol .. they are single shot mausers and were shipped by the Germans to Ireland .
Attachments
IMG_1610.JPG
national army uniform m collins style
IMG_1610.JPG (75.33 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Postby EireNoob on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:00 am

Hi,
im new to these forums and im a bit confused, anyone know where i can purchase ica/iv military gear? or proper military gear used by the ira in the war of independence?
thanks
EireNoob
Full Name: Dylan Lowry

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:47 pm

pm me and I will give you advice and guidance
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Previous

Return to 20th Century