Óglaigh na h-Éireann weapons 1916

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Re: Óglaigh na h-Éireann weapons 1916

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:58 pm

Thats class reading Michael thanks, I just this week got a bandolier brown leather dated VR 1901 and a bayonet Lee Enfield dated 1916 as well all for just eighty quid it's strange what people sell to you I picked up as a side deal a book containing every thing in colour about American civil war uniforms and weapons and also the regiments and even goes into depth bout the navy's of each side .. its really interesting to read .

I had lined up to buy a Styer bolt action but traded one of my MgC 68's for a G98 as I do know that these were 1912 Clyde valley guns sold by greedy UVF men to the Irish volunteers and got a lovely one which I shall be collecting over christmas period, then I'll clean the wood work up and polish so looks good.
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Postby michaelcarragher on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Sounds mighty, Shergar, and bargain prices (though I'm far from an expert on such things, eighty quid for authentic Victoriana and a 1916 bayonet seems like a bargain).

The G98 strikes me as a far better deal than the Steyr. The SMLE is the better gun for purely military applications, but I understand that in other regards, any rifle connoisseur would go for the Mauser any day.

Good luck with the restoration, and have fun in your re-enactments.
michaelcarragher
Active Newbie
Full Name: Michael Carragher

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:38 pm

I did the guy with the Bayonet and Bandolier a fav so the price was good in return , the G98 well I had arranged to sell it but the buyer pulled out, but as I had given my word to deal with this person I could not retract my word, but once free from my bond I was able to do a straight swop with no faffing about.It payes to keep one's word in the end as all well that ends well and now I'll have my G98 for X mas so very pleased with the transactions I made recently.

Michael there is a lot of interest why don't you think about participation as well.
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Previous

Return to 20th Century