Óglaigh na h-Éireann weapons 1916

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Could some one give me a list to clarify the weapons available to the Irish Volunteers in 1916 , trying to get a better idea of what was definatively used any imput would be very much appreciated

Steyr M95 8mm Straight Pull Rifle was this used

smle 303 lee enfield was this used

g98 german rifle was this used

henry martini was this used

Thompson 1921 submachine gun , with stick mag ot drum mag
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Re: Óglaigh na h-Éireann weapons 1916

Postby enfield on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:24 pm

Here are some more, 455 webley,p08 luger, 1911 colt, Smith and wesson, colt 45 ( Dan Breen liked this) c96 in short and Artillery/Broomhandle versions, Vetterli Vittali 10.4, Mosin Nagants (captured from the Russians at the battle of Tannenberg). They did not have the Thompson. Dont forget Mills bombs.
Cheers.
Tom.
enfield
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi Tom and thanks I can get lots of mills bombs in England a guy sells them but only to the UK but when im over I'll buy lots and bring with me to shows and sell off, I have the Webley the Lee Enfield and C96 and a genuine sherwood forrester smle bayonet captured in 1916 etc but looking at the Styr or the Mosin Nagant as have these lined up to buy but wanted to get a better idea . I also got the 1897 sword for the officers and just needc an Irish army badge to place upon it over the Royal Cypher the guy gave me the Sam Browne sword frog and also the sword toggle as part of the deal so im well pleased .
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Postby enfield on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:49 am

Hello Martin.
The British sword with the Irish Army badge would look so wrong, and I am sure it would be pointed out to you if you used it at shows. Its the kind of attention you can do without.
Cheers.
Tom.
enfield

Postby michaelcarragher on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:05 am

Don’t forget the Mauser Gewehr 1871, the “Howth rifle”. This was a single-shot rifle that fired an 11mm black powder round; the black powder gave it a distinctive loud roar. This was the rifle that led to complaints about use of dumdum bullets—part of the consignment of ammunition delivered with the guns.
michaelcarragher
Active Newbie
Full Name: Michael Carragher

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:05 pm

so should the sword not have any cypher then and also michael thanks for the howth gun i was thinking of buying a styer from about 1891 production
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Postby enfield on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:21 pm

The only Irish sword I have seen that was taken of a Free State officer did not have any British pattern to it and was privately purchased. The British sword would look out of place. Maybe an email to the National Museum will give you more information.
Cheers.
Tom.
enfield

Postby Jd66 on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:27 pm

The Volunteers' main weapons in 1916 were;

The 1871 Mauser (or Howth Mauser), imported at Howth and Kilcoole in 1914.

The Martini Henry carbine, which was still the RIC's standard weapon at the time and could be stolen or bought from them,

The 303 Lee Enfield, which again, was bought and stolen from British soldiers.

The Volunteers prefered the Lee Enfield if they could get it as it was lighter, smokeless and magazine fed (10 rounds), whereas the other two were single shot and black powder weapons.

The Volunteers also had access to various revolvers and automatics, including the C96 Mauser (semi) automatic pistol, or 'Peter the Painter', which came with a stock and could be converted into a carbine with it - used to lethal effect by Mick Malone at Mount street. Shotguns were also used.

The Moisin Nagant was not used as the Germans did send a large consignment of them but it was sunk off Fenit just before the Rising.

I don't want to say for sure that the Volunteers didn't have any 98 Mausers or Steyrs, but I haven't come across any mentions of them.

As far as I'm aware the Volunteers had no machine guns in the Easter Rising. The Thompson had not been developed in 1916, but the IRA did get a batch from New York just before the truce in 1921 and it was widely used in the civil war.
Last edited by Jd66 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jd66
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Dorney

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Thank you very much John and Tom and all who replied ... your answers are concise and to the point and also very very helpful as I intend to get this impression right and have collected a lot and have just gotten a few banners made as well to add to my display .. regards to all Mairtin
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Postby michaelcarragher on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Just discovered that there were "a number" of "Boer Mauser" magazine rifles used by the ICA, and possibly the Volunteers as well (Ferghal McGarry, Rebels: Voices from the Easter Rising, p. 77); these would be Gewehr 1895/96 models. Apparently Mark 3 Lee Enfields, the best of all the LE series, also were in use (op. cit, p. 83). In 1916: The Long Revolution, Doherty and Keogh speak of a "grab-bag assortment of outdated weapons" (pp. 59-60) being used, but this "grab-bag" clearly contained some of the very best bolt-action military rifles ever made.
michaelcarragher
Active Newbie
Full Name: Michael Carragher

Next

Return to 20th Century