Brodie helmet Easter rising

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:51 am

Can I ask are there any examples ie photographs of British soldiers wearing either Brodie helmets or the French equilivent during the fighting in Dublin in Easter 1916 or were these helmets not introduced until Sept 1916, and further to this did the Irish Volunteers and later the Irish Republican Army ever wear helmets in action against the British.

My thanks to all who take the time and consideration to read and to contribute.
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Re: Brodie helmet Easter rising

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:10 pm

I did happen to find this Pathe news film reel which does show searchesin the after math of the rising

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=79385
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Postby euryalus on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:15 pm

This is surely not 1916. The Brodie helmets had only just been introduced, and they were at first used only in the front line - not on a "home" posting - as Ireland would then have been regarded.
euryalus
Full Name: Stanley C.Jenkins

Re: Bro helmet Easter rising

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:17 am

it appears to be , but feel free to correct me , if you have any further information many thanks
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:37 pm

From the photographic evidence of documented images taken in 1916, you will not find the Bodie Helmet being used by British troops. The British never used the French Adrian helmet.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:30 pm

the british did use the French helmet in ww1 as they were losing too many soldiers to head wounds

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=were+ ... B425%3B255

shows at least two brodies being worn easter 1916
Last edited by Na Fianna Éireann on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Winston Churchill wore an Adrian helmet while serving in France as commanding officer of the 6th Royal Scots Fusiliers from 5 January to 6 May 1916. According to Nicholas Rankin, Churchill was presented with the helmet by a French general in December 1915, before joining his regiment.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CDcQ9QEwAg

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CDMQ9QEwAA
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:33 pm

I am very familiar with the image of Churchill wearing a French Adrian Helmet. This is exceptional, not a general rule.

The Brodie Helmet was 1st issued to British troops in the trenches in April 1916, and it would not be general issue to front line troops until later in the summer of 1916.

If you are trying to justify wearing either of those helmets for a British soldier living history portrayal in April 1916, during the rising, the photographic and historic evidence really doesn't support it.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:01 pm

goodness no I have no interest in the british in any respect apart from being curious if they used the brodie during the rebellion against our soldiers , I do own british original uniforms and field gear as well as death pennies and an original war diary , i just wanted to know or establish what our soldiers had to face in terms of equipment used by the enemy.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie

Postby euryalus on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:51 am

On a footnote, the well-known portrait by Sir John Lavery which depicts Winston Churchill wearing an Adrian helmet shows him in the uniform of his own (part-time) regiment, The Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars, rather than that of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.
euryalus
Full Name: Stanley C.Jenkins

Return to 20th Century