"I Was There" Dublin 1916

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

"I Was There" Dublin 1916

Postby euryalus on Sat May 07, 2011 10:58 am

A 1930s magazine entitled "I Was There" used to be quite well known but, to my surprise, several people have recently told me that they have "never heard of it". I mention this only because there was a contribution on the Easter Rising by Desmond Ryan, the author of "The Invisible Army", which is told entirely from the Volunteers point of view. It contains 7 pictures from sources such as "LNA" and "ENA". I wondered if these are likely to be of interest, assuming that they may be rare (a very big assumption on my part).
euryalus
Full Name: Stanley C.Jenkins

Re: "I Was There" Dublin 1916

Postby bannerman on Tue May 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Hello Stanley,
I cant say that I ever heard of it but I would be very interested to see the illustrations in the article. Relatively few photographs of the 1916 Rising are available when compared with other periods such as the War of Independence or Civil War. I wonder what the LNA abd ENA stand for (- could it be London National Archives and Eire National Archives - this would certainly be a very odd system of referencing but not an implausable one.)

Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Re: "I Was There" Dublin 1916

Postby thepremier on Tue May 10, 2011 5:49 pm

There was a radio series during the 1950s about the 1916 Rising aimed at children also called I Was There, I wonder is there any connection?
thepremier
Active Newbie
Full Name: niig

Return to 20th Century