A&A Sword

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Re: A&A Sword

Postby kevin714 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:15 pm

Can any one help me out with some pictures or sketch's maybe of this type of guard without the S in any previuos research you might have done? It will take a few weeks to order the book.

Thanks
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Postby Swifty on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:05 pm

The cnamha yahoo group has a fair few of them uploaded directly from the book.
kevin714 wrote:Can any one help me out with some pictures or sketch's maybe of this type of guard without the S in any previuos research you might have done? It will take a few weeks to order the book.

Thanks
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby kevin714 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:14 pm

I realized I have that article
GetAttachment-10.aspx.jpeg
GetAttachment-10.aspx.jpeg (4.9 KiB) Viewed 4252 times

And all the Type 3 swords are either S guards or rolled at the ends except this one and this does not have the fan type ends, perhaps there is another source for the majority straight guards?
GetAttachment-11.aspx.jpeg
GetAttachment-11.aspx.jpeg (6.08 KiB) Viewed 4255 times

There are none similiar to the A&A sword with a straight fan shaped guard in this publication, the closest example has rolled ends not flat/straight.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby kevin714 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:20 pm

Swifty wrote:The cnamha yahoo group has a fair few of them uploaded directly from the book.
kevin714 wrote:Can any one help me out with some pictures or sketch's maybe of this type of guard without the S in any previuos research you might have done? It will take a few weeks to order the book.

Thanks

Also the cnamha yahoo group is no longer there, does anyone know what happened to it?
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby Swifty on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:29 pm

If you want rolled edges I'm sure A&A would do that for you if you ask nicely. Now that you've found Andy's pamplet you can see what I meant earlier on when I said that the blade itself is well off the archaeological examples anyhow. If you want my advice you should just order a custom sword from Armour Class - they made three of Halpin's ring-pommel swords for me to the EXACT original specifications. If museum-quality is not your priority and you are looking for a serviceable sword for re-enactment that roughly conforms to type the A&A sword would certainly do. It depends on what you want.
Swifty
Active Newbie

Postby Swifty on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:33 pm

kevin714 wrote:Also the cnamha yahoo group is no longer there, does anyone know what happened to it?

Yeah just noticed that - maybe they're having a kitkat.
Swifty
Active Newbie

Postby kevin714 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Swifty wrote:If you want rolled edges I'm sure A&A would do that for you if you ask nicely. Now that you've found Andy's pamplet you can see what I meant earlier on when I said that the blade itself is well off the archaeological examples anyhow. If you want my advice you should just order a custom sword from Armour Class - they made three of Halpin's ring-pommel swords for me to the EXACT original specifications. If museum-quality is not your priority and you are looking for a serviceable sword for re-enactment that roughly conforms to type the A&A sword would certainly do. It depends on what you want.

I'll look into the Armour class for a future purchase, what is there price range if you don't mind me asking. The A&A sword was on sale for Christmas and I could't resist, I don't have a real problem with the blade being based on the ashmolean art work since no one has a problem with the "E" guards being historical and that is only based on artwork also since none have been found in any archaeological digs in Ireland. I already own the Albion Kern which I would consider museum quality, I'm just adding to my collection :D
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby Swifty on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:44 am

The price for one sword from AC at that time was something like GBP£300-400.00 - something like that anyhow - it's been a while since I made that order - they were good value for money anyhow. Yeah well absolutely buy the A&A sword then so - it looks a lot better than that Windlass one that I saw on this forum a few weeks back. How cheap is the sale price anyhow? And at least - as you say - the blade does conform to something for which there is contemporary pictorial evidence. PS Armour Class do nice E-quillon types too ; )
Swifty
Active Newbie

Postby kevin714 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:27 am

Its $740 USD regularly, on sale for $585 USD. Of course that doesn't include shipping($32). And the options of counter curved or S quillions($40) and blueing($75) are extra. I like the E -quillion look and the Armour class looks real good for that price, of course the shipping from Scotland will cost me I'm sure. I will definetely be looking their way down the line. Do you have any pictures of what you have from them that you could post?
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby kevin714 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:02 am

Can anyone help me identify the sword on the left and find a detailed description?
Attachments
240888193.jpg
240888193.jpg (64.64 KiB) Viewed 4218 times
240888194.jpg
240888194.jpg (58.77 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
240888571.jpg
240888571.jpg (49.83 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Early Modern