Jac of Plait

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Re: Jac of Plait

Postby brendan on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:24 pm

good pics
as to ancestry, well that sort of settles it really, you need at least 2! one to match the Jamestowne one and one for the chieftain one!
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:26 am

brendan wrote:good pics
as to ancestry, well that sort of settles it really, you need at least 2! one to match the Jamestowne one and one for the chieftain one!

Brendan,

I'm goining to assume that they are the SAME garment and have ONE made!

Can we get Swifty involved in this discussion?
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby brendan on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:48 pm

:lol:
yeah, sense over madness every time
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby kevin714 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:13 am

Finn,
Have you gotten any info on who makes something close to what these brigandines look like?
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Postby finnobreanan on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Kevin,

I've checked all of the popular reenactor reproduction goods sights and catalogs, and not surprisingly, none of them make this garment. I may contact my friend, who is making me a cotun/acton, and see if he might be up for it. If you find any, let me know. I was hoping others would chime in on this discussion, who may have a source or who have made one themselves.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby kevin714 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:35 pm

finnobreanan wrote:Kevin,

I've checked all of the popular reenactor reproduction goods sights and catalogs, and not surprisingly, none of them make this garment. I may contact my friend, who is making me a cotun/acton, and see if he might be up for it. If you find any, let me know. I was hoping others would chime in on this discussion, who may have a source or who have made one themselves.

Finn,
Here is some of what I found,what do you think?
http://steel-mastery.com/index.php?&mod ... rent_id=17
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:38 pm

Kevin,

Yes, I saw these two. They just don't look like the surviving examples in Scotland or the illustrations from Derricke.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby kevin714 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:52 pm

finnobreanan wrote:Kevin,

Yes, I saw these two. They just don't look like the surviving examples in Scotland or the illustrations from Derricke.

I know its a stretch but check out the green one it could resemble the one from the Chieftan in Derricke. Its sorta got that pattern what do you think? Maybe if you sent them pictures they could modify it somewhat it even has optional shoulders.
http://steel-mastery.com/index.php?&mod ... uct_id=547
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby kevin714 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:56 pm

Finn,
What color do you think the one from the Derricke illustration is?
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:00 pm

kevin714 wrote:Finn,
What color do you think the one from the Derricke illustration is?

I would not want to speculate, based on Derricke's illustration for color. Based on the two Scotish examples, they appear to be an unbleached muslin or canvas, tan in color I would guess.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

finnobreanan
Active Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Early Modern