Scians

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Re: Scians

Postby Swifty on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:47 am

Seathrun wrote:Yeah looks great
So how early were these used? Is there evidence in the 900s to 1000?
Seth

Nice try but the answer is nope.
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby Seathrun on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:49 am

I did not think so. Or at least I had never seen finds that early. Looks like I will keep using my seax then.
Thanks
Seth
http://www.ravensborg.org/
Trí labra ata ferr túa: ochán ríg do chath, sreth immais, molad iar lúag.
Three speeches that are better than silence: inciting a king to battle,spreading knowledge, praise after reward.
Seathrun
Active Newbie
Full Name: Seathrun (Seth)

Postby kevin714 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:04 am

Seth

The earliest description I have seen is 1397;

"In 1397, Catalonian Count, Ramon de Perellos made such a pilgrimage to the shire of St. Patrick in Donegal. The Count wrote a journal of the entire experience including his stay at the Court of the King of Ulster, The O'Neill. In that journal he describes in detail the 40 "horsemen" or knights attending the Great King, "They ride without saddles on a cushion and each wears a cloak according to his rank. They are armed with coats of mail and round iron helmets like the moors and Saracens. Some of them are like the Bernese. They have swords and very long knives and long lances."
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Postby Seathrun on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:45 am

Great info. I am just getting started on a latter period kit.
http://www.ravensborg.org/
Trí labra ata ferr túa: ochán ríg do chath, sreth immais, molad iar lúag.
Three speeches that are better than silence: inciting a king to battle,spreading knowledge, praise after reward.
Seathrun
Active Newbie
Full Name: Seathrun (Seth)

Postby kevin714 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:24 am

Seth

Swifty, I know you said that there wasn't any evidence but these finds from Lagore(E and F) look very much like a scian and are said to be 7th to 9th century and the other is from the Dalraida(Argyll) area of Scotland and said to be as early as 5th century. I would like to hear your opinion on them.
Attachments
Dalraida scian 5-9th century.jpg
Dalraida scian 5-9th century.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
7-9th century scians.jpg
7-9th century scians.jpg (13.68 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby Billy on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:38 am

I always thought the scians from Lagore were legit for Early Medieval use, and the Dal Riada example really seems to seal the deal.
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby Swifty on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:53 pm

Yes Kevin - well 'E' certainly looks to fit the bill - whereas the Dal Riada specimen and 'F' may be typical medieval European knives. So my first question is where do you get your dating from - is it stratigraphic and beyond doubt?
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby kevin714 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:15 am

Swifty wrote:Yes Kevin - well 'E' certainly looks to fit the bill - whereas the Dal Riada specimen and 'F' may be typical medieval European knives. So my first question is where do you get your dating from - is it stratigraphic and beyond doubt?

I was hoping you could clarify the dates, the Dal Riada dates come from the National Museum of Scotland which is where it is located. The Lagore finds I thought were well documented but I got the dates from the internet so they could be wrong, can you verify?
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

Previous

Return to Early Modern